Southern Kuzbass Power Plant

History

1939

The decision to construct a power plant in Kemerovo Region’s south is made. The site was chosen due to the number of nearby coal deposits and convenient geographical relief. However, construction was put off as the Soviet Union entered the World War II.

1948

The power plant’s construction was launched, with the state calling for young volunteers to man the building process. Concrete, slag, cement and brick plants were built to provide for the construction as well as a wood-processing mill. Despite the recurring lack of digging machines, transport, lifting gear and tractors, the work was never halted.

1951

Southern Kuzbass Power Plant’s first turbogenerator was launched. Construction continued at a high pace, even in winter, despite temperatures that dropped below -40 degrees Celsius. One or two units were launched every year.

1956

The power plant attained its project capacity of 500,000 KW, becoming the chief and most powerful power plant in the Kuzbass energy grid. It was the first high-settings power station in Siberia. Later, large-scale measures aimed at automation of the technological processes, equipment upgrades and technical revamping were also held.

The quality of the plant’s service repeatedly won prestigious regional and government awards. The plant’s experts worked on many Soviet power plants and abroad, in Iraq, Mongolia, Yugoslavia and Cuba. Energy specialists from North Korea and Morocco were trained in Southern Kuzbass.

2007

The plant was acquired by Mechel-Energo OOO.

2010

The plant doubled its energy output in the fall-winter period, carrying the load of some 260 MW in summer. In order to speed up unloading from 30 to 100 wagons a day, the plant’s territory and its coal storage were expanded and a rail link built. Mechel launched modernization of the plant’s boiler equipment.

2011

The station approved a plan for measures on improving planning and production management, increasing reliability of its equipment, gradual decrease of production costs. The station re-launched its own centralized repairs shop.

2012

Electricity production went up by 25%, fuel expenditure in electricity output went down by 34 g/KWh, the number of accidents went down by half, fuel oil use decreased by four times. The station also began working on the project of reconstructing its chemical water cleansing system and preparing two out-of-date turbines for replacement.