Izhstal

 

History

1760

Count Pyotr Shuvalov founded Izhevsk Ironworks, which produced iron, steel and anchors.

1807

Construction of a new small arms factory begins on the basis of Izhevsk Ironworks, due to the growing demands of Russian army for cold steel and firearms.

1855

Izhevsk Ironworks becomes chief iron supplier for all Russian arms factories.

1884

The plant is renamed as «Izhevsk Arms and Steel Factories».

1897

At the Siberian and Uralian Industrial Exhibition, the plant is awarded the gold medal «for excellent management of steel making business».

1900

The plant wins Grand Prix at the Exposition Universelle in Paris.

1915

The plant’s 1st steel-making shop is complete.

1939

By the government’s decree, Izhevsk Ironworks is divided into a steel-making (metallurgical) and machine-building (arms) factories, which presented new opportunities for production growth.

1941-1945

During the four years of Soviet participation in the World War II, the plant produced as much steel as it did over the previous decade.

1944

The government awarded a state Order of Lenin to Izhevsk Metallurgical Plant’s staff for their selfless work during the war.

1960

The plant wins state awards for its successes in boosting output and mastering production of new grades of specialty steels and new products. The plant also launches large-scale reconstruction of its production facilities.

1960-1980

Reconstruction allows the plant to become leader among quality steel makers. During the reconstruction, the plant mastered production of cold-rolled band from stainless steel and precision alloys. The steel alloy wire shop is commissioned. A new state-of-the-art building for the electric steel-making shop was built, allowing the plant to produce ultraclean steel. The shop created and installed the first arc-plasmous furnace as well as the Soviet Union’s first automated system of managing electroslag remelting.

1974

Flat band shop is commissioned.

1980s

Izhevsk Metallurgical Plant produces 30% of all fast-cutters in the Soviet Union.

1995

Izhstal is transformed into a joint-stock company.

2004

The plant joins Mechel Group.

2008

To improve Izhstal’s efficiency, the plant began the first stage of an upgrade including the installation of a new modern electric arc furnace with a total capacity of 40 tonnes, an out-of-furnace processing complex and a new continuous casting machine, in addition to reconstruction of rolling mill No. 250 and the disposal of outdated open-hearth furnaces.

2009

Following restructuring, Izhstal OAO, like Mechel Group’s all other metallurgical assets, fell under control of Mechel Steel Managing Company.

2010

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin launched Izhstal OAO’s new electric steel-making complex which included the electric arc furnace and the continuous casting machine.

2017

Izhstal won a silver medal of Metal-Expo’ 2017 Industrial Exhibition for developing and implementing a new method of smelting stainless nitrogen steel. Products from this type of steel are used in shipbuilding, automobile and oil industries.