Vyartsilya Metal Products Plant

History

1845

A sawmill is built in Vyartsilya.

1851

The sawmill is acquired by a major entrepreneur Nils Ludwig Arppe, who set up a steelmaking shop thanks to local lake and swamp ore reserves and cheap electricity.

1852

Two blast furnaces were installed and yielded first pig-iron, with a rolling mill launched in 1861.

1885

An open-hearth furnace was launched.

1898

The “Vyartsilya Aktiebolag” corporation is created. The enterprise had a full cycle by then and began to produce wire and nails in early 20th century.

1940

The Vyartsilya plant, which had an open-hearth furnace, a rolling mill and a hardware shop, became Soviet property as part of Finland’s territorial concessions.

1948

Once restored after the Second World War, the plant began to work at full capacity. The open-hearth furnace and the rolling mill were closed, with the plant focusing on hardware production.

19701980

The total production volume came up to over 70,000 tonnes of hardware a year. The plant also began producing fasteners and zinc-coating nails.

1994

The plant’s personnel decided to transform the enterprise into a public corporation. It was also the 100th anniversary of the first corporation set up at the plant.

2002

The plant joined Mechel, a major industrial group, which allowed it to pass from the bare survival stage into restoration and further development. As part of Mechel, the plant managed not only to completely restore its former volume levels, but exceed its historic maximum set in 1990.

2007

Vyartsilya Metal Products Plant produced a total of 82,000 tonnes of hardware.

2010

VMZ set a new production record – 118,500 tonnes of hardware a year.